Saturday, March 16, 2013

Leaving Alexandria: A Memoir of Faith and DoubtLeaving Alexandria: A Memoir of Faith and Doubt by Richard Holloway
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Richard Holloway is a significant person to read and his journey away from Christianity is an important and interesting one. But I found this autobiography fairly average except where he specifically analyses and critiques contemporary Christianity and the issues it faces - including his engagement with those issues. I was pretty bored with what seemed to me an endless commentary on place names, streets, buildings, towns, etc. Clearly Holloway connects with the places and people of his life but I didn't find his writing at all engaging. Worth reading, I think, because of who Holloway is and his influence on Anglicanism and his recent writings on morality without God (which I am yet to read). So check it out, but for me, I was hoping for a much more subversive and engaging piece of writing.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment